If you would like to substitute teach in any school district in ROE #39 Macon-Piatt Counties you will need to hold a valid Professional Educator License (PEL) OR Substitute Teacher License (SUB).

  • If you hold a Valid Teaching License (PEL) you DO NOT need a Substitute License.

  • If you hold a Paraprofessional License and have a bachelor's degree on file, you are qualified to be a substitute teacher and DO NOT need a Substitute License, but you do have to complete the substitute authorization process by completing the steps below that are applicable.

  • A Substitute License (SUB) is valid for 5 years and is renewable. 
    Note: You must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution for a Substitute License. (SUB)

STEP ONE: Obtain a Substitute Teacher License through the State of Illinois:  If you have a valid teaching license (PEL), skip ahead to STEP THREE. 


  1. Log on to and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log into ELIS, then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign up Now in the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select Continue.

  2. Follow the steps and click on “Apply for Substitute Teacher license." You will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee for the application.

  3. At this point, request official sealed copies of transcripts to Dee Williams at ROE #39. Transcripts must be from a Regionally accredited university and show a bachelor’s degree has been awarded.  You can have official transcripts emailed direct from your university to
    Electronic transcripts must be sent by the university to the e-mail address above. T
    hey may not come from the substitute applicant directly or they are deemed "unofficial".

**A law is in effect that allows individuals who have worked at least 10 full school days on the substitute license to receive a refund from ISBE for your substitute application fee. The law is applicable to any educator who had a SUB license issued on or after July 1, 2017.  Click here for more information

STEP TWO: Register your Substitute Teaching License:
Once the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you must register your license before it will be valid.

  1. Click on Registration under the Home tab and follow the steps. You will pay $60.00 plus a $2.00 convenience fee. 

STEP THREE: How to obtain a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #39:

Applicants wishing to be considered for a Substitute position must submit the substitute packet materials to ROE #39. The substitute packet includes the following: 

  • Substitute Teacher Application Form

  • Release of Information Form

  • Original Statement of Good Health (no photocopies) signed by a physician, no more than 90 days old.

  • BUSHUE authorization forms for your fingerprint appointment. Return these forms to PRIOR to your fingerprint appointment.

Click here to print the Substitute packet needed to complete the authorization process:

If you prefer the Substitute packet to be sent to you electronically via esignature please email and request an electronic sub packet be sent to you.

Recently, ROE39 established a relationship with DMH Corporate Health.
Please call 217-876-4900 to set up an appointment for a physical if you do not have a Dr. or recent physical. You must let them know you are having a pre-employment physical for ROE39 and that you are self-pay. They will bill your insurance company on your behalf. If you do not have insurance, the cost is $70.00.

STEP FOUR: Fingerprinting:

  1. Pay for your fingerprinting PRIOR to making your appointment. The cost is $65 and can be paid online via (see link below) or by cash or money order in person at our office.  There will be a $2.00 convenience fee charged.

    Click here to pay for your Substitute fingerprinting online
    Once you have completed and submitted all of the Substitute Packet paperwork and the results of your fingerprinting from BUSHUE have been received at our office, you will be mailed a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter along with a copy of your background check and physical. You will need to take that information to each district office where you would like to substitute teach. Let them copy it for their files and apply directly with them

ROE #39 Privacy Policy: All inquiries regarding licenses must be made by the license holder, we are unable to share information with other parties. Thank you.