Macon-Piatt Regional Office of Education #39
If you would like to substitute teach in ROE #39 Macon-Piatt Counties you will need to hold a valid Professional Educator License (PEL), Substitute Teacher License (SUB) or Short-Term Substitute License (STS).
- If you hold a Valid Teaching License (PEL) you DO NOT need a Substitute License.
- If you hold a Paraprofessional License and have a bachelor's degree on file, you are qualified to be a substitute teacher and DO NOT need a Substitute License, but you do have to complete the substitute authorization process by completing the steps below that are applicable.
- A Substitute License (SUB) is valid for 5 years and is renewable. Note: You must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution for a Substitute License. (SUB)
- A Short-Term Substitute license is non-renewable, MAY NOT TEACH MORE THAN 5 CONSECUTIVE DAYS FOR ONE TEACHER AND REQUIRES STS TRAINING BEFORE A ROE #39 SUBSTITUTE AUTHORIZATION LETTER WILL BE RELEASED.
STEP ONE: Obtain a Substitute Teacher License through the State of Illinois: If you have a valid teaching license, skip ahead to STEP THREE.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING GOOGLE CHROME OR FIREFOX AS YOUR BROWSER!! MACBOOKS AND HANDHELD DEVICES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ISBE'S WEBSITE
- Log on to www.isbe.net and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log into ELIS, then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign up Now in the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select Continue.
- Follow the steps and click on “Apply for Substitute Teacher license." You will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee.
- At this point, you should send your official sealed copies of transcripts to Dee Williams at ROE #39. They must be from a Regionally accredited university and show a bachelor’s degree has been awarded. You can have official transcripts emailed direct from your university to email@example.com
**A new law is in effect that allows individuals who have worked at least 10 full school days on the substitute license to receive a refund from ISBE for your substitute application fee. The law is applicable to any educator who had a SUB license issued on or after July 1, 2017
STEP TWO: Register your Substitute Teaching License:
- Once the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you must register your license before it will be valid.
- Click on Registration under the Home tab and follow the steps. You will pay $60.00 plus a convenience fee.
Anytime during this process, you can begin the steps below for employment in our districts.
STEP THREE: How to obtain a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #39:
Persons wishing to be considered for a Substitute position must submit the substitute packet materials to ROE #39. The substitute packet includes the following:
- Substitute Teacher Application Form
- Release of Information Form
- Original Statement of Good Health (no photocopies) signed by a physician, no more than 1 year old.
- BUSHUE authorization forms for your fingerprint appointment. Return these forms to firstname.lastname@example.org PRIOR to your fingerprint appointment.
Download these forms, fill out the forms and then scan and email them to: email@example.com
STEP FOUR: Fingerprinting:
- Pay for your fingerprinting PRIOR to making your appointment. The cost is $65 and can be paid online via converge.net (see link below) or by cash or money order in person at our office. There will be a $2.00 convenience fee charged.
- Once you have completed and submitted all of the Substitute Packet paperwork and the results of your fingerprinting from BUSHUE have been received at our office, we will mail you a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter along with a copy of your background check and physical.
- You will need to take that information to each district office where you would like to substitute teach. Let them copy it for their files and apply directly with them
Delivery information for transcripts:
Macon Piatt Regional Office of Education
1690 E. Huston Dr.
Decatur, IL 62526
Dee Williams, Licensure Specialist
Electronic transcripts must be sent by the university to the e-mail address above. They may not come from the substitute applicant directly.