Macon-Piatt Regional Office of Education #39
How to Become a Paraprofessional (Teacher Assistant):
To obtain an Illinois Paraprofessional license for employment as a teacher assistant, an applicant can be qualified by one of the following:
- Must be 19 years of age AND
- Earned an Associate’s degree or higher OR
- Earned a high school diploma or GED and a score of 460 or higher on the ETS Praxis Parapro test OR
- Earned a high school diploma or GED and the following scores on the ACT Workkeys:
- Applied Mathematics/Applied Math – 4 and
- Reading for Information/Workplace Documents -- 4
You may find information for the WorkKeys and ETS Praxis Parapro test on Lincoln Land Community College’s website:(http://www.llcc.edu/student-services/placement-testing/paraprofessional-testing/). The tests are administered at LLCC in Springfield.
How do I get a Paraprofessional license?
STEP ONE: Obtain a Paraprofessional License through the State of Illinois:If you have a valid teaching license, skip ahead to STEP THREE.
Log on to www.isbe.net and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log into ELIS, then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign up Now in the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select Continue. (MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING INTERNET EXPLORER FOR YOUR BROWSER)
Follow the steps and click on “Apply for Paraprofessional license." You will pay $100 plus a convenience fee.
At this point, you should send your official sealed copies of transcripts to ROE #39. They must be from an accredited university and show an Associates degree has been awarded OR a minimum of 60 credit hours. You may have official transcripts emailed from your university to firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP TWO: Register your Paraprofessional License:
Once the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you must register your license before it will be valid.
Click on Registration under the Home tab and follow the steps. You will pay $30.00 plus a convenience fee.
Once your Para license is registered you may contact districts directly regarding employment.
If you are planning on working as a Para-Substitute then the following steps ALSO must be completed.
STEP THREE: How to obtain a Para-Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #39:
Persons wishing to be considered for a Para-Substitute position must submit the substitute packet materials to ROE #39. The substitute packet includes the following:
- Para-Substitute Teacher Application Form
- Release of Information Form
- Original Statement of Good Health (no photocopies) – signed by a physician, no more than 1 year old.
- $65 in cash or money order. Payment must be received before you can make an appointment to be fingerprinted
STEP FOUR: Fingerprinting:
- Come in person to our office and pay for your fingerprinting and an appointment will be made for you. The cost is $65 and can be paid with cash or money order to ROE #39.
- This is the last step! Once you have completed and submitted all of the Substitute Packet paperwork and the results of your fingerprinting from BUSHUE have been received at our office, we will mail you a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter along with a copy of your background check and physical. You will need to take that information to each district office where you would like to substitute teach. Let them copy it for their files and apply directly with them
Delivery information for transcripts:
Macon Piatt Regional Office of Education
1690 E. Huston Dr.
Decatur, IL 62526
Dee Williams, Licensure Specialist
Electronic transcripts must be sent by the university to the e-mail address above. They may not come from the substitute applicant directly.