MACON-PIATT REGIONAL OFFICE OF EDUCATION #39
Out of State Teaching Licenses transferring to the State of Illinois:
Create an ELIS Account
- Log into the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) at https://www.isbe.net/Pages/Educator-Licensure-Information-System.aspx
- On Educator Access, select the Login to your ELIS account link.
- Click on Sign Up Now on the left side of the page.
- Fill in all of the required fields and click to continue. Once logged into ELIS, you will click to apply for an Illinois license, endorsement or approval and follow the application wizard to apply for your Illinois license
- If you are Out-of-State and do not have an active teaching license, send your university, form 80-02 or 80-02S whichever is applicable. Forms can be found at https://www.isbe.net/Pages/Licensure-Forms.aspx Your university will send the completed forms directly to ISBE per the instructions on the top of the forms.
- Request your university send your official transcripts and a copy of your out-of-state license to:
Macon/Piatt Regional Office of Education #39
1690 Huston Drive
Decatur, IL 62526
Attn: Dee Williams
OR email transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Illinois State Board of Education will review your documentation and either issue your Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) or post a deficiency notice with a request for additional information.
Monitor your ELIS account for any activity or communication from ISBE.
Once the Illinois PEL license is issued it will need to be registered before it it valid.
Testing information can be found at www.il.nesinc.com.
Applicants Prepared as Educators Outside the United States
In order to become licensed in Illinois, foreign applicants must have been prepared as an educator outside of the United States, meet all coursework and testing requirements, be legally eligible for employment in the United States, and meet all other requirements detailed in Illinois statute and rules.
If you have foreign credentials, you will need to obtain an evaluation that converts the foreign educational credentials to equivalent American semester credits and courses. The evaluation will need to specify the grade level for which you prepared as a teacher. It will also need to indicate the American degree equivalence of your foreign credentials. You will find a list of approved foreign credential evaluation organizations in the below link.
Bring the foreign credential evaluation report to the Regional Office of Education and we will upload it to your ELIS account.