Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation



Sub Navigation


Sign up for the News Update.

Home > breadcrumbs: Licensure > breadcrumbs: FAQ >


Ajax Loading Image



I already hold a teaching license, what do I need to add a new teaching area/endorsement?  The endorsement requirements begin on Page 7 of the document:  Illinois License, Endorsement, and Approval Requirements Effective July 1, 2013 found at  http://www.isbe.net/licensure/requirements/endsmt_struct.pdf

Are registration fees required to keep my license?  Yes  When must I pay the registration fee?  Registration fees should be paid immediately after the license is issued; the license is not valid for employment until the registration fees are paid.  The license will lapse if the registration fees are not paid.

How do I pay the registration fees required to keep my license?  You will pay the fees using a credit/debit card through your ELIS account at https://sec3.isbe.net/IWASNET/login.aspx

How much are the registration fees?  Registration fees are currently $10.00 per year and collected for the length of validity of the license (typically 5 years).

What happens if my license should lapse because I failed to pay the registration fee?  You have two options to reinstate a lapsed license:

  1. Educators who have lapsed may complete nine semesters hours of coursework in one or more of the endorsement areas listed on the license.  Coursework must be completed within the last five fiscal years.  View acceptable courses you may complete for reinstatement. http://isbe.net/licensure/pdf/ELIS-faq.pdf    (pages 25 & 26)
  2. Educators who have lapsed may pay a $500 penalty fee in place of completing nine semester hours of coursework.  You may apply for reinstatement in ELIS.  You will be able to select which of the two reinstatement options you wish to use.

If your educator license lapsed due to failure to complete the required professional development and/or Administrators' Academy courses, you must complete any deficient professional development, enter the activities in ELIS, and submit your PD before you may reinstate your license.  Once you have satisfied the professional development requirements, you may choose one of two above options. 

I am retiring before my license renews, do I need to complete professional development?  Yes.  You are required to participate in professional development while teaching in an Illinois Public School;  failure to meet PD for the semesters of employment will prevent you from meeting renewal requirements and will cause your license to lapse.  Educators are prohibited from obtaining a substitute license when they hold a lapsed license.

I'm retiring before my license comes due for renewal, can I submit my professional development and register early?  No.  You may complete the renewal process and pay registration fees no earlier than April of the year they come due.




Back To Top